Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I may not want to barbecue with polar bears, but I shall defend to the death their inalienable right to barbecue!

Sheesh, Sam, you should put a disclaimer on that post: Rabies shot needed before reading. This dude has drunk the Haterade, stayed up past his bedtime watching the mania on CNN (and rated it better than the OJ chase), and probably has what has been scientifically described as a 'micro-penis.'

I do not understand the venom.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

FFC - enough to keep them up?

Sanchez has spent £17.5million on Aaron Hughes, Steven Davis, David Healy, Diomansy Kamara, Chris Baird and Paul Konchesky already this summer, but has promised more movement at Craven Cottage before the window closes.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fulham looks like a Coca-Cola Championship club to me, but there is going to be enough crap coming up (or, in the case of Wigan, staying up) that it might be enough to survive.

Is one of Konchesky's goals to play for every London club before he retires?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Baird will almost certainly be a good purchase
Kamara & Healy both could do well
Davis will be pretty reliable
Not sure on Hughes but he is versatile
Konchesky looked like he was going to be really good a couple of seasons back but seems to have lost his way, so it's a bit of gamble.

Looks like Brown & Quedrue will be leaving
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:More ill-informed xenophobic idiocy from England...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hard to decide which is funnier, the witty piece or your fabulous reaction to it.

What about the footb, sorry soccer journo man on the Cosmos programme (which I fell asleep in front of after an exhausting weekend) who said Americans just don't have the attention span to watch 90 mins of a free flowing sport like soccerball?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

There are certainly people who feel that way. Some people will never warm to it, and that's fine by me. I won't claim that soccer will rival football, baseball or even basketball in the US, but I could see it displacing ice hockey as the fourth most popular team sport. Still, it's never going to mean to people here what it means to people in England, Argentina or Brazil.

I guess what annoys me most about some of the UK commentary on Beckham/MLS is that it is uninformed by any first-hand knowledge. I'd wager that Robbo has never watched a minute of an MLS match, yet he feels entitled to pas judgment on it. Interestingly that puts him in the same boat as most of the frat boy meathead soccer haters here in the States, who rip the sport without bothering to actually give it a chance.

One thing that is lacking at your average MLS game - and it's something that will probably only work itself out over time - is the crowd intensity and passion that you see in the rest of the world. At the Red Bulls game on Saturday I was surrounded mostly by kids and soccer newbies (the woman behind me asked her husband how "Beckman" would stack up against what was on display and I had to stifle a laugh). I tried to make a little noise and had a go at the ref and the people around me looked at me like I was from Mars. There are more passionate, hardcore elements of the crowd like the Empire Supporters Club and Kearny Army, but they are sort of penned off to either side, away from the rest of the fans. It's the same situation for other clubs. The atmosphere is almost too family friendly. I would welcome more f-bombs and nasty songs, but the powers that be in MLS don't seem to agree.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the woman behind me asked her husband how "Beckman" would stack up
Clearly, she was referring to rasta-wannabe Kyle BeckERman, suddenly of RSL. A lot of people miss the "er".
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

White man rasta hair is not a good thing.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Let the soccer haters hate. When is the last time you saw an MLS player involved in this kind of thing?...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye ... vick1.html

What a scumbag!

PS: See, here's Joe Cole with his puppies. Awwwww!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cXbqTAGJJQ
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Well, that's not how you train them to fight. At least, that's what I've been told.

MLS probably has plenty of freaks, they just don't get the headlines those quarterbacks do. Or defensive linesmen, tight ends, forwards, pitchers, right fielders, race horses or pro wrestlers.:lol:

Seriously, I have never heard of a performance enhancement drug scandal in MLS - spare me the obvious joke, please. Steroids won't do them much good, but I'd think whatever it is bicycle racers get tested for would. EPO? Something like that. I don't know what league policy is.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:Baird will almost certainly be a good purchase
Kamara & Healy both could do well
Davis will be pretty reliable
Not sure on Hughes but he is versatile
Konchesky looked like he was going to be really good a couple of seasons back but seems to have lost his way, so it's a bit of gamble.

Looks like Brown & Quedrue will be leaving
Pretty much agree with this assessment.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:There are certainly people who feel that way. Some people will never warm to it, and that's fine by me. I won't claim that soccer will rival football, baseball or even basketball in the US, but I could see it displacing ice hockey as the fourth most popular team sport. Still, it's never going to mean to people here what it means to people in England, Argentina or Brazil.

I guess what annoys me most about some of the UK commentary on Beckham/MLS is that it is uninformed by any first-hand knowledge. I'd wager that Robbo has never watched a minute of an MLS match, yet he feels entitled to pas judgment on it. Interestingly that puts him in the same boat as most of the frat boy meathead soccer haters here in the States, who rip the sport without bothering to actually give it a chance.

One thing that is lacking at your average MLS game - and it's something that will probably only work itself out over time - is the crowd intensity and passion that you see in the rest of the world. At the Red Bulls game on Saturday I was surrounded mostly by kids and soccer newbies (the woman behind me asked her husband how "Beckman" would stack up against what was on display and I had to stifle a laugh). I tried to make a little noise and had a go at the ref and the people around me looked at me like I was from Mars. There are more passionate, hardcore elements of the crowd like the Empire Supporters Club and Kearny Army, but they are sort of penned off to either side, away from the rest of the fans. It's the same situation for other clubs. The atmosphere is almost too family friendly. I would welcome more f-bombs and nasty songs, but the powers that be in MLS don't seem to agree.
I honestly would love to believe in MLS. If the US took to the game it could only mean increased revenue and an evern greater global expansion. I just don't see it happening now. Why would it be different now to how it was back in the 70's? It's just not a North American game. Don't know why....just isn't :?

It's like back in the late 80s when American Football was massive in the UK for about two years. People tired of it and there were no crowds. Clubs went bust. That's what I expect to happen with footie in the US.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, there are five clubs in the league expected to turn a profit this season, which is probably more than you could say for the PL, and they are expected to expand to 16 cities by 2010-2011, including possibly (fingers crossed) a second club in New York. San Jose was announced today.

The league is financially viable and the infrastructure is being built. It's not going bust. The big difference with the NASL was that NASL was not a single-entity system, so some owners could (and did) spend like drunken sailors on shore leave. The MLS has a salary cap, though the designated player slots allow them to bring in one or two relative superstars.

The other thing to consider is that you now have American players good enough to compete in some of the best leagues in the world, and even better talent on the way. You didn't have anything close to that in the seventies. I'm not saying it's going to supplant American football, but MLS will still be here in 10-15 years time and relatively stable IMO.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well, I really hope you are right. For now I shall reamin sceptical. Time will tell.
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

reamin septical all you like. :P

there's a big insurance policy being fiendishly built in - the kids playing today. those crazy IM'ing, internet-addicted, zero-attention spanned kids. Hockey might be the only real competitor in the years to come.

But that's just my theory. It's not FIFA endorsed.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

What I've never understood is why Mexican and European immigrants to the US didn't bring their footballs with them?

Is the desire to integrate so strong that they forget how to kick a round ball?
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

They do. Drive by any major Hispanic community on a Saturday and you'll see football being played. For some reason, it hasn't yet translated to the national team or MLS in a big way.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's coming. as the quality of the league improves (esp. with JPA, Schelotto, Toja) etc.

Anecdotally (or some approximation of that spelling), it gets closer every day - at least here in the sticks. I've been involved in kid soccer for 16 years or so. In that time, a lot of Hispanic people have moved into the area. At first it was just men and they pretty much had their own thing going soccer-wise. Now it's men with families and they are beginning to sign their kids up. And play pick up games, etc. Just all one big pot o'gold under the soccer rainbow. And I'm not just being facetious. It breaks down boundaries - I was giving shit to an Olympia supporter who spoke just about as much English as I speak Spanish, but hey, we agreed on one (won) thing - DC kicked their ass. :lol:

And our "all-stars" seem to be doing that to Celtic tonight. At least thru half time. 2-0. I expect us to get our asses kicked in the next 45.

end of sermon.

2-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jello shots!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Pretty entertaining match, as these things go. Nice goals by Angel and Toja, the two Colombians. Doesn't sound like Becks will play in the Chelsea friendly on Saturday.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

honest to god, I'm sick of hearing about his foot, his ankle, his hair. More abs! I wanna see the abs! :lol:

My favorite comment from the all-star game is: What MLS clearly needs are more Colombians named Juan.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:My favorite comment from the all-star game is: What MLS clearly needs are more Colombians named Juan.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

second favorite comment: Juan and Juan Make Two!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Have we got a fantasy league set up yet? Got my team all ready and waiting! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

See the Fantasy League 2007-2008 thread below.