Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Bankrupted myself (I don't have a job, apart from baby-sitting), but my most recent outing yielded Dusty In Memphis, Soviet Kitsch, and a box of classical. (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky (probably butchered that), and Chopin). Sort of a 'greatest hits' thing. This was sometime last weekend, Friday, I think. Enjoying all of them quite a bit.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Was that Bad Ambassador in the Oxfam shop? You were in my local store! This wasn't at 9.30 on Monday was it? Come on, it's a great place, isn't it? Sadly the £4 rack seemes to have gone. I liked that addition.
It was c. 4pm Sunday. We'd dropped 2nd born off @ Uni in Norwich, and were having a short break in your fair city - open topped tour, colleges, the river, Fitzwilliam Museum & Fopp. Yes, it's still a great shop, fingers crossed it maintains the spirit and catches on again.
Oh, didn't notice a 'Board Elite' badge, so the Oxfam chappie might have been anybody. Could it have been a small world scenario?
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Recently raided the local vinyl store and found these for $13 after trading in some CD's and Movies:

Highway 61 revisited and the Biograph box set by Bob Dylan

Sandinista and Combat Rock by the Clash

The White Album/white vinyl - The Beatles

Jukebox Dury- an Ian Dury best of collection

The Hollies sing Dylan

Nina Simone in Concert

Then I searched another vinyl store and found The Harry Nilsson-John Lennon collaboration- "Pussy Cats" for $10.

I had been looking for this ever since the Walkmen covered the whole album in 2006.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Picked up Thurston Moore's Trees Outside the Academy solo album this weekend. Pretty great stuff and distinguished by the use of acoustic guitar on most tracks. J Mascis adds a couple of guitar solos as well. This is only the second solo album from Thurston, and while the previous one was much more like Sonic Youth, this one is quite different.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hawley's new one is out this week in the States - will be picking this up. Also, Radiohead's new album is supposed to be released in some sort of deluxe CD+vinyl edition later in the year. I will almost certainly be getting that.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:.....Also, Radiohead's new album is supposed to be released in some sort of deluxe CD+vinyl edition later in the year. I will almost certainly be getting that.
Yep, just read about three different ways the album will be available :
1. download , beginning October 10; you pay what you want :shock:
2. part of the deluxe Discbox ; you also get the release on LP and as a digital download, plus an enhanced bonus CD packed with eight more tracks, photos, and artwork (and an LP of the bonus tracks), plus art and lyrics booklets. This thing costs £40.00/$81.00. Release date - December.
3. traditional CD - early 2008.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

XTC's Waxworks Singles collection (Is that what you call a singles album? I always refer to Squeeze's Singles 45s and Under as an album), a thrift store treasure. I'm really starting to warm up to these guys.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

StrictTime wrote:XTC's Waxworks Singles collection (Is that what you call a singles album? I always refer to Squeeze's Singles 45s and Under as an album), a thrift store treasure. I'm really starting to warm up to these guys.
Hurrah! Their catalogue is a treasure trove.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A great read for all CD buyers!
http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/neve ... _me_and_my

Never Can Say Goodbye: Me And My CDs (1988 – 2007)

posted by: Keith Phipps
October 1, 2007
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'll bet this mirrors the experiences of more than a few folks on this board. Thanks John!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:.....Also, Radiohead's new album is supposed to be released in some sort of deluxe CD+vinyl edition later in the year. I will almost certainly be getting that.
Yep, just read about three different ways the album will be available :
1. download , beginning October 10; you pay what you want :shock:
2. part of the deluxe Discbox ; you also get the release on LP and as a digital download, plus an enhanced bonus CD packed with eight more tracks, photos, and artwork (and an LP of the bonus tracks), plus art and lyrics booklets. This thing costs £40.00/$81.00. Release date - December.
3. traditional CD - early 2008.
The discbox is available for pre-order at their site for all of you lovers of pretentious misery. I've got my order in.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

As well as the the Coral album (Roots and Echoes), which is effing brilliant, I have the Babyshambles new one, tempted by the vgood single Delivery. So far so good.

I'm now looking forward to the Imagined Village collective and Robert Wyatt releases.

signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

There's a Wyatt track on the Word comp called, I think, Beautiful War. Great stuff.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

invisible Pole wrote: 1. download , beginning October 10; you pay what you want :shock:
And that includes 'free' (they don't even ask for card details):
http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I had an awesome day off of work.

On CD, I picked up:

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
John Lennon - Walls & Bridges (remastered)
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon (remastered)
Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
The Ditty Bops - The Ditty Bops

on vinyl, I picked up:

Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel Of Love
Tom Waits - Small Change
George Benson - The Other Side of Abbey Road
Roger McGuinn - Cardiff Rose (produced by Mick Ronson!)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ordered the vinyl versions of Hawley's Lady's Bridge and The Fiery Furnaces' Widow City. Have heard bits and pieces of the latter and was pretty impressed.

Oh, ordered the Sharon Jones album from Daptone as well.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Just received Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope, Jens Lekman's Night Falls on Kortedala and Sufjan Stevens's Illinois thing. All new artists for me. Am breaking in the Lekman first--I really like it. It's happy and a little depressing at the same time, which is my favorite thing.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Love Regina, love Sufjan. You'll regret not being in the City Hall that night, I tell you!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Early birthday presents, from me to me. Instead of saving, as I should have, the twenty bucks I had, I bought: The Best of Chess Blues, Vol. II, Skylarking(XTC), and John Wesley Harding's New Deal(Well, JWH, duh). Also got the 45 Hometown/I'm The Man (Joe Jackson) and Pure Pop For Now People (Nick Lowe) on vinyl. It had better be good, because I flipped monkey bananas when I saw it. Oh, and The Best of The Spinners of cassette. Now and then one just has to be self-indulgent. :)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I also follow the two-for-me, one-for-them method of Christmas shopping when it comes to music. That Nick Lowe is a real find! And you will definitely enjoy it.

I picked up the new Stars album, In Our Bedroom After the War and am enjoying very much. At the same time I picked up the new Rosebuds for the G/F and the Robert Plant/Allison Kraus thingy for her father.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Several members of my family said to me this weekend over T-Day dinner, "You still buy CDs? That's so cute!"
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

That's lunacy! Who wants to own some easily lost, no-artwork digital copy of something? Heck, I'd still buy everything on vinyl if it was half as portable.

And, on topic: I'm hoping for some Rufus Wainwright for my birthday. Mmmm, Rufus. Sort of an 'in advance' post.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

And we wait to hear the Strict Time Meets PPFNP(JofC).
Like me, the "g" is silent.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

mood swung wrote:And we wait to hear the Strict Time Meets PPFNP(JofC).
Funny you should say that now, as I just spun it for the first time. And oh, god, was it awesome. New favourite, definitely. Turntable staple, certainly. I just can't wait till someone I know gets a converter so I can take it around with me and make my friends shake their heads in confusion once again. Anything that makes me laugh, sing along, and dance on first listen is good by me. Mmmm, I can't say enough, really. I'm hoping the impression won't fade upon subsequent listens. And, of course, I take the usual pleasure in loving things that other people have never heard of, even though it's been around for years. It now resides with my other favourites on the wall (Squeezing Out Sparks, Hissing of Summer Lawns, King of America, East Side Story, for anyone keeping count).

I also listened to Skylarking which struck me as both eminently cool and utterly bizarre. It reminded me of a week when I was around ten; I had the flu and everything melted into one big fever-haze.

Best of Chess Blues was excellent as well. I need to go get the other volume; I saw it at the same store. At the time, I didn't have the cash. I think, now, that's it some of the best music I've heard. And I also understand more fully why 'blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll.'

JWH tomorrow, certainly. I've high hopes.

Well, status report done....signing out, sarge.... :lol:
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

'blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll.'
ST, do yourself a favor and pick up Muddy Waters: The Anthology
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain