Alex Chilton

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
alexv

Alex Chilton

Post by alexv »

Sad news. I don't know if the comments on the attached come through, but it's heartening to see so many comments coming in.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... n-dies/?hp
Jack of All Parades

Re: Alex Chilton

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Very sad news indeed! Still hard to fathom that his was a voice of a sixteen year old on that record all those years ago[a most pristine example of pop song writing economy to this day-EC are you reading]. Those first two Big Star records never leave my player- "September Gurls" and "Driving In MY Car" indeed. Like that legendary first Velvet Underground album, they definitely launched a 'thousand' bands in the following years. I feel very mortal today as he was only four years older than me. Oddly enough, I was just playing "Pleased To Meet Me" yesterday with it's ode to him "Alex Chilton" ['what's that song?'] and the equally joyous "Kiss Me on the Bus" in which you can surely hear his influence. Sad day!
Last edited by Jack of All Parades on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm pretty gutted by this. Not only was he a huge inspiration, but having lived in Memphis and New Orleans (Alex was a neighbor, but not an acquaintance, of mine), he was pretty omnipresent in the past 18 years of my life.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Very sad.

I don't own any of his records but the songs I've heard are all pure pop gems.
And I'm a fan of Teenage Fanclub, who obviously adore the guy.

One of my favourite songs :

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Tee Ni Nee Ni Noo
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

A funny and bittersweet remembrance of his 'mentor' by Paul Westerberg in today's Week In Review in The New York Times. You get a real sense of what he meant to him.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
alexv

Post by alexv »

Chilton/Big Star get some love in a most unexpected place. Great stuff.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/ ... -song.html
Jack of All Parades

Thank you for calling attention to this piece. It is a heartfelt appreciation of this artist, very well written. You really get a sense of how an artist like Chilton can have a far greater impact on this world than those big selling artists that he so assiduously avoided becoming.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

If anything, recent events spurred me to write a couple of overdue reviews, which can be accessed below.