RIP T-Bone Wolk

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

RIP T-Bone Wolk

Post by johnfoyle »

An essential part of the Confederates line-up I saw 1987.

http://themusicsover.wordpress.com/2010 ... bone-wolk/

T-Bone Wolk was a brilliant bassist who, though likely not a familiar name, was a familiar presence on stage and television since the 1980s. Born in Yonkers, New York, Wolk, like so many of our rock heroes, decided on the night he first saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, that he was going to be a musician. And within a few years, Wolk was playing in local garage bands. His first break came in the early ’80s when he was asked to fill in for Will Lee in the Late Show With David Letterman band. Wolk would later be the bassist for the Saturday Night Live house band. In 1981, Wolk was hired to play in the Hall & Oates band, with whom he spent over 20 years. He also co-produced several of their records. As a session player or producer, Wolk also worked with, among others, Carly Simon, Cyndi Lauper, Harry Nilsson, Roseanne Cash, Elvis Costello and Billy Joel. T-Bone Wolk died of a heart attack on February 27, 2010.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -Bone_Wolk

Elvis Costello and T-Bone Wolk on Saturday Night Live, May 18, 1991.
martinfoyle

Re: RIP T-Bone Wolk

Post by martinfoyle »

Wasn't fortunate enough to see him as a Confederate, I did see him accompanying Shawn Colvin at Dublins Whelans in 1993. While mainly playing bass he also played a mean accordion that night, and nearly stole the show.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

damn, sad about that! saw him 3x as a Confed & loads of times w/ H&O, SNL, Letterman etc. bass player blues: first Spacewolf, now this. RIP T BONE!! and from Yonkers too! i never knew...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

ELVIS COSTELLO and THE CONFEDERATES: (Left to right) T-Bone Wolk, Benmont Tench, Jim Keltner, Elvis Costello, Jerry Scheff and James Burton

London 1987
blureu

Post by blureu »

What a lineup! Let's hope they release a Confederates gig as part of the live series.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yeah, the PHILLY TOWER 10-27-1986 METS WIN THE WORLD SERIES 2 hour 59 minute show would be IDEAL!!! quadruple vinyl would work. What a night!!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis writes on the official website: http://www.elviscostello.com/

T-Bone Wolk

When word arrived of the passing of T-Bone Wolk., I just happened to be in a recording studio with a number of colleagues with whom we had both worked during the mid-80s and early 90s.

After the initial shock, we spent some timesimply talking about T-Bone’s beautiful playing and even recalling various funny incidents as a way of staving off our incredulity at the announcement.

One can only imagine the feeling of loss for his family and his closest musical allies, to whom I extend my sympathies.

John Oates and Darryl Hall’s beautifully expressed tributes remind me that music first founded in the vitality and possibility of youth must now accept and reason with lost and absence.

Needless to say, it was at a Hall and Oates show in the around 1983, that I first heard T-Bone play in person. I think I came away from the date most vividly remembering his bass playing and I doubt Darryl and John would be offended by this remark.

On the first album of mine to which T-Bone contributed, “King of America”, he found himself in the company of former Elvis Presley bass-player, Jerry Scheff and jazz master, Ray Brown, in whose company he entirely deserved to stand.

T-Bone played just great on “Jack of All Parades”

However, one of the more enduring songs from that record, “Brilliant Mistake”, actually featured T-Bone on guitar and accordion, an instrument on which he had been a childhood champion.

Indeed, it was on this last instrument and as a vocalist that T-Bone briefly became a member of the touring line-up, “Elvis Costello and His Confederates”, alongside, Jerry Scheff, Jim Keltner, Benmont Tench and James Burton.

In the late 80s, when I was trying to learn how to arrange for larger and more contrasting groups of players, I turned to T-Bone to bring in the vital grounding more expansive songs such as “Last Boat Leaving” and “Satellite”.

This last song provided my first personal introduction to Burt Bacharach, who happened to be working in an adjacent studio at the time and whose arrangement style I naively imagined the recording echoed.

So when Burt and I first wrote together, about six years later, it was T-Bone who we called to play on “God Give Me Strength”.

One of T-Bone’s most endearing qualities was the way in which retained the perspective of the fan and student while being a master of his instruments.

If you mentioned, say, Rick Danko or Paul McCartney with regard to the approach to a song, he could joyfully incorporate something of their style in this part, while remaining utterly his own man.

In fact, I think he took delight in doing this and it is something you hear most clearly on our recording of “So Like Candy”.

For his indelible playing, his generous spirit, not to mention always admirable choice of lid, I will always think of T-Bone with great fondness, respect and the regret that I did not get to share more time with such a wonderful musician.

He was a truly sterling fellow.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/03/prweb3772674.htm

T-Bone Wolk Leaves A Legacy Of Musical Diversity

Musical maestro, T-Bone Wolk leaves iconic recording artists lamenting his loss, recalling his contributions and remembering the man.

New York, NY (PRWEB) March 25, 2010 -- Nearly a month has languished since prolific musician, musical director and producer T-Bone Wolk passed away suddenly on February 28th at the painfully young age of 58.

T-Bone was known as a musician's musician who worked with the likes of Elvis Costello, Shawn Colvin, Carly Simon, Burt Bacharach, B.B. King, Roseann Cash, Bette Midler, Avril Lavigne, Billy Joel, Cindi Lauper and many more iconic artists. As the news makes it’s way around the world, many are mourning his loss and expressing such across websites, blogs and posts,

Elvis Costello wrote on his website, “One of T-Bone’s most endearing qualities was the way in which he retained the perspective of the fan and student while being a master of his instruments." And, as a master of nearly every instrument anyone could play, he was the golden right hand man to Hall & Oates, spanning nearly three decades, and an integral part of the online musical series ‘Live From Daryl’s House.’

One of his most recent and last private projects included co-producing NYC singer songwriter, Tony Terraciano, who thoughtfully shared on his website, "I waited over a year to specifically work with T-Bone on my debut record and I feel honored to have had the opportunity to experience his generosity in the studio, his great talent and intuitive musical insight. He was unmistakably a rare musician. As you can imagine, I’m in shock and quite saddened. We were looking forward to completing this project this Spring and had hopes of getting on the road. We were very proud of the songs we worked on together. God Bless T-Bone.” A selection of their collaboration can be heard at www.tonyterraciano.com.

T-Bone Wolk’s legacy is also best expressed in his own words on his web site www.tbonewolk.com, which showcases the breadth of his musicianship and the depth of his talent. T-Bone was a singular unselfish individual who will be terribly missed.

Funeral services took place on March 4th with family & friends in attendance. A special “Tribute to T-Bone" is scheduled to air May 15th online at Live From Daryl’s House.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

Elvis ( 'n The Imposters) will be in Reno, Nevada on May 15th so he'll hardly be able to be part of this. Is it actually 'live' or is it taped?
alexv

Post by alexv »

Thanks for that link to livefromdaryl'shouse, John. Was not aware it existed. Some great performances.