State Theatre, Sydney, Tue 19 April 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: State Theatre, Sydney, Tue 19 April 2011

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

It's definitely the same as the April Fools version. Screaming Tele and Davey sounding like McCartney.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

glad to hear that jeremy...it IS a great version of it, right???
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

To be honest, I much prefer the album version and was hoping for a more faithful rendition, but it was a great performance and Davey's bassline just knocked me out.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Anxiously awaiting your full review, Jeremy.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:To be honest, I much prefer the album version and was hoping for a more faithful rendition, but it was a great performance and Davey's bassline just knocked me out.

hey...glad YOU enjoy the original, as do i. it took a beating around here. why? i'll never know. i do dig this No. 3 much also.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

Re the setlist: surprisingly light on NR tunes. I thought the boys would have a go at more of 'em....
krm

Post by krm »

from a personal perspective I am quite glad that a few momofuku songs find their way into the setlist.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

There are always going to be disappointments. I was really hoping for Bedlam, Church Underground, Five Small Words and I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, but no such luck. But I can't argue with the setlist we did get - he even left Alison out.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/rev ... 1dor9.html

Breadth of styles shows why Elvis is king

Reviewed by Bernard Zuel

Reviewer rating:
Rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars

THE start was breathless - four songs banging up against each other like late-running commuters at the turnstiles: coming through, make way. I Hope You're Happy Now, noisy and rollicking; Tear Off Your Own Head, busy and sneakily poptastic; High Fidelity, brisk soul dancing away; Uncomplicated, muscular and snappy.

Fifteen minutes or so, not a word said, barely a pause between final chord and first drumbeat, corrections made on the run; energy. But even before the first breath was taken, in the Texas torch song of Either Side of the Same Town, you could hear the base notes of this night's show and it wasn't knock-me-down rock'n'roll. What permeated almost every corner of the next two hours was what has always fed Elvis Costello's music: country and soul.

There was the Chicago groove underneath Everyday I Write the Book and the deeper well of Flutter & Wow, the usually raucous Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To Do done Opry style followed by a rockabilly take on Luxembourg, and even the sleazy cabaret lounge just behind the veil of New Lace Sleeves picking up a hint of rye rather than cheap scotch blend.

This is one versatile, almost infinitely flexible band of keyboard adventurer Steve Nieve (who was criminally low in the mix for a little too long), seemingly ageless drummer Pete Thomas, loose-limbed bass player and spot-on backing vocalist Davey Faragher and Costello in some career-best form on guitar.

Mind you, one of the evening's highlights didn't feature the band (or much country soul) as Costello took an old-time radio-style stroll through the comi-tragic tale of Jimmie Standing In the Rain before the winning voices of support act Secret Sisters played chorus line to his neo-Bing Crosby in A Slow Drag With Josephine.

Having cleared a space with these delicacies, though, Costello and the Imposters went out the way they came in, bustling through a final triumvirate of National Ransom, Pump It Up and (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love And Understanding convincing us briefly that our lack of breath was excitement, not ageing.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... z1K6eBvJSB
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive ... rt-review/

Elvis Costello seasoned to taste: Concert review

Slick and sharp as ever, Elvis Costello showed his State Theatre audience that at 56 he may be seasoned but to just about everyone’s taste.

In a 90-minute set that ranged over four decades of his cleverly crafted material, Costello and his band The Imposters moved seamlessly from crowd favourites like Every Day I Write The Book and Tear Off Your Head to more recent songs from his Momofuku and National Ransom albums.

Costello, perhaps the most versatile of rock performers, is no stranger to Sydney, having appeared with the Brodsky Quartet in the 2006 Sydney Festival as well as performing with the Sydney Symphony.

But it’s been a while since he’s been seen here with his amazingly tight band - keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and drummer Pete Thomas.

Looking dapper in one of his trademark hats and a metallic grey suit, Costello zapped through the first six numbers before throwing a hurried “how are you?” to the audience, changing from a Telecaster to his trademark Jazzmaster and launching into the next medley of hits.

The breakneck pace eventually slowed for his heartrending country-style Either Side Of The Same Town. After that there was some banter with the audience before he settled down to an acoustic session, working his way through a battery of guitars including a Guild which had been given to him for a recording gig in 1978 and hadn’t been out of its case since.

He boasted about the qualities of his tenor guitar before singing Monkey To Man, switching back to a solid body for Beautiful played with a distortion so dirty it was close to disintegration.

Always generous to other musicians, he brought on support act, the wonderful Secret Sisters - Laura and Lydia Rogers from Muscle Shoals, Alabama - to join him for a couple of numbers near the end of the set, including the beautiful A Slow Drag With Josephine and an acoustic rendering of Jimmy Standing In The Rain.

This last song he described as the tale of a vaudevillian who travels the world in a straw hat and a book of poems by Dante and who has “chosen the wrong moment to go into cowboy music”.

Finally the band came back for a farewell 20 minutes with the audience up on its feet and singing and dancing to King of America and Nick Lowe’s (What’s So Funny) About Peace, Love and Understanding.

This is the only rock concert I know of where the audience came out to the strains of English comedy duo Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise singing Give Me Sunshine. All part of the Costello experience!

Costello, along with the Secret Sisters, is appearing in the Byron Bay blues festival over the Easter weekend.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This last song he described as the tale of a vaudevillian who travels the world in a straw hat and a book of poems by Dante and who has “chosen the wrong moment to go into cowboy music”.
So its Dante now - last years's spiel with this song referenced John Keats.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

sweetest punch wrote:Elvis Costello seasoned to taste: Concert review

Slick and sharp as ever, Elvis Costello showed his State Theatre audience that at 56 he may be seasoned but to just about
But it’s been a while since he’s been seen here with his amazingly tight band - keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey
He boasted about the qualities of his tenor guitar before singing Monkey To Man, switching back to a solid body for Beautiful played with a distortion so dirty it was close to disintegration.
"Beautiful"?? That would be cool, but I doubt it, since neither Jeremy nor Paul mentioned it. Is he talking about "I Hope"?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I guess so. Also, he strapped on the tenor for The Spell That You Cast, not Monkey to Man. And he's got Brilliant Mistake listed as King of America.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »